Aggro – Midrange – Control. Those are the 3 overall archetypes in most limited Magic formats.
Supporting Aggro in Cube is always very hard, and 1 aspect I’m looking at for the next update is the number of planeswalkers. Last time, there were over 30 planeswalkers on the cube, letting people have an average of 3 per deck. This is very tilted towards midrange and control by the incremental advantage nature of the card type.
I have decided to make drastic cuts in the pw.
- 1 per color, color pair, and colorless.
- 1 per PW name. (Only one Jace, Sarkhan, ect). An exception is being made for Ajani as he is the only RW and GW for the moment.
- White: Elspeth, Knight-Errant
- Part of me really wanted to keep Ajani Goldmane, as he synergies with the +1 counter theme, but since he is already the GW and RW walker AND his GW version plays nice with the same theme, I let Elspeth in.
- Blue: Jace, The Mind Sculptor
- Another tough choice, cutting Tezzeret, the Seeker hurts the artifact deck, but if any one card is the iconic PW it’s JTMS
- Black: Liliana of the Veil
- Red: Daretti, Scrap Savant
- None of the Red walkers really fit the traditional red decks, but Daretti is great in UR artifacts.
- Green: Nissa, Worldwaker
- WU: Venser, The Sojourner
- UB: Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
- BR: Sarkhan the Mad
- This one is the only one that’s really filling the quota. He needs a tweak to be better. Or ideally a different BR planeswalker. Was really wishing Ob Nixilis had been BR
- RG: Xenagos, the Reveler
- GW: Ajani, Mentor of Heros
- WB: Sorin, Solemn Visitor
- BG: Garruk,Apex Predator
- GU: Kiora, Master of the Depths
- UR: Dack Fayden
- RW: Ajani Vengeant